Becoming a Volunteer
To become a volunteer:
- Contact our Volunteer Coordinator at Mercy Hospice Auckland – call Julie Reid on 09 376 7567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- She will interview you first on the phone and then make a time for a face-to-face interview with her.
- You will complete an application form and your references will be checked.
- If both you and the hospice are happy to proceed then you will attend the next volunteer training course
After the course you may choose which area you wish to work in.
Our training aims to:
- Provide a good knowledge of Mercy Hospice Auckland, its history, philosophy, objectives, services and culture
- Give an understanding of the hospice’s palliative care approach to death, dying, grief and bereavement
- Teach about the role of our volunteers, the procedures to follow and the standards that are maintained
- Provide an appreciation of the roles of staff and volunteers
- Assist volunteers to know how to care for themselves and where to go for support should they need it.